If you are suffering from an orthopedic injury or condition, you might first consult with your primary care physician. In most cases, however, your doctor will refer you to an 整形外科医生 – and here’s why.
Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in the musculoskeletal system – namely, 你的骨骼, 关节, 韧带, 肌腱, 和肌肉, all of which are essential to your mobility.
With more than 200 bones and connective tissue in your body, you can imagine just how in-demand 整形外科医生s are, especially among patients dealing with arthritis, 臀部或背部疼痛, 关节脱臼, 还有许多急性的, 慢性, 以及退行性疾病.
Let’s take a closer look at who 整形外科医生s are and the services they provide.
Qualifications and 服务 of an Orthopedic Surgeon
Many 整形外科医生s specialize in particular areas of the body, 比如脚和脚踝, 手和手腕, 或者脖子和脊柱. 另外, orthopedic doctors may focus on a specific field of orthopedics, 比如运动医学, 创伤, 或儿科.
在有执照 整形外科医生 is one who has successfully completed a minimum of 13 years of formal education, including four years of undergraduate study at a college or university, four years of study at a school of medicine, and five years of study at a major medical institution.
在有执照, fellowship-trained 整形外科医生 has completed all of the above, plus a year of specialized education in an accredited fellowship program. To stay current in orthopedic k现在ledge and skills, all 整形外科医生s continue their medical education each year.
Most Common Procedures Performed by an Orthopedic Surgeon
When you visit an 整形外科医生 for treatment of a painful condition, your first appointment will most likely include a comprehensive medical history evaluation, 诊断成像(x射线和/或核磁共振成像), 以及某些物理测试. These will be used to come to a diagnosis.
After your condition or injury has been diagnosed, the 整形外科医生 will discuss treatment options, 其中很多是非手术性的. 整形外科医生不仅仅是做手术 手术. They always prefer to treat patients non-surgically first, as these treatments are not only successful for many patients, 但它们也是安全的, 负担得起的, 风险更小, 并且需要更短的恢复期.
如果手术是必要的, an 整形外科医生 may be trained to perform the following procedures, 根据他们的专业:
- 全膝关节置换术–As the second most common cause of 慢性 pain in the United States, 慢性 knee pain often requires joint replacement 手术 when a person is unable to perform everyday tasks due to severe knee pain. 在这个过程中, the ends of the bones that meet at the joint are removed, and prosthetic implants are installed in their place. 一旦治好了, the new joint components mimic the natural knee’s functions, thus giving the patient their full mobility back with no pain.
- 部分肩关节置换术 –This is performed to treat an injury such as a severely torn rotator cuff and is often used to relieve painful conditions such as osteoarthritis. 也被称为半关节成形术, it is a procedure in which the head of the humerus bone in the upper arm is replaced with a prosthetic ball, 但天然的眼窝完好无损.
- 全肩关节置换术–There are two different methods for this procedure –traditional arthroplasty and reverse arthroplasty. 传统的关节成形术, the existing ball and socket surfaces of the shoulder are replaced with similarly shaped prosthetics. 通过关节置换术, the positions of the shoulder joint’s ball and socket are switched, with the ball at the top of the upper arm bone replaced with a socket-shaped prosthetic and the socket replaced with a prosthetic ball.
- 部分髋关节置换术– This type of 手术 is most often performed to repair certain types of hip fractures. 在部分更换期间, the femoral head (or ball) of the hip is removed and replaced with either a ceramic or metal ball that is attached to a metal stem, which is set into the femur and the socket is left intact.
- 全髋关节置换–A total hip replacement involves the replacement of the femoral head and neck and the removal of any damaged cartilage in the pelvis. Available types of bearing surfaces for total hip replacements include metal on metal, 陶瓷上的陶瓷, and the metal ball on the plastic liner, 年轻时可以持续20年, 活跃病人及, 因此, 是最推荐的.
- 脊柱融合术–This type of 手术 can help relieve back pain symptoms caused by conditions such as degenerative disc disease, spondylolistheses, 脊髓狭窄, 和脊柱侧凸, 还有椎骨骨折, 椎间盘突出, 感染, 或者肿瘤. Two or more vertebrae are fused together, 愈合成单身, 坚实的骨骼, thus restoring the stability of the spine and/or eliminating painful motion.
随着年龄的增长, orthopedic disorders and injuries become more common, which is why so many people require the services of an 整形外科医生. If you are one of them, you can rely on 灵戈尔德县医院 你需要的照顾和治疗. Our specialty outpatient clinics have a diverse group of providers for you, right where you live.